Ever since I discovered kale, there has been no looking back!
My go-to kale and avocado salad
Also known as a ‘superfood’, kale has more iron than beef and more calcium than milk, per calorie! This is amazing especially for people like me who want to start limiting their meat intake. It’s not only easier to digest than meat but also full of antioxidants, minerals and vitamins A, C and K!
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, or approx 2 cups
- 1 avocado
- 1 - 2 small carrots, grated or julienned
- ½ punnet cherry tomatoes, or approx ¾ cup
- ½ red capsicum sliced
- 1 lebanese cucumber sliced
- handful of sprouts
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ pepitas
- 3 Tbs hemp seeds
- ¼ cup flaxseed oil (or organic cold pressed olive oil)
- juice of ½ lemon (fresh), or 1 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbs nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbs coconut nectar / organic raw honey
- Wash the kale leaves thoroughly to remove any unwanted guests. Pat dry with paper towl and remove leaves from stems. In small bunches chop up the kale super fine, or shred it through your food processor. Doing so helps to aid in digestion! So the smaller the leaves the better.
- Add the kale to a large bowl.
- Add in the avocado and begin to massage it into the kale with your fingers, or if you prefer, mash it in with a fork, tossing it around the kale. The idea is to wilt the kale in the avo's natural oils.
- Add the rest of the veggies and seeds to the salad mix and combine well.
- With the avocado already softened into the kale there is usually no need to dress the salad. However, if you feel like adding a bit of tang simple mix the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and toss with salad.
I am in the habit of always boosting my salads with some healthy fats and added protein such as;
- 1 – 1/2 an avocado (mashed/massaged into the kale to help soften)
- 3 Tbs pepitas
- 3 Tbs hemp seeds
- 2 Tbs sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbs nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 Tbs dulse
- Toss in some quinoa
Who said salads were boring?!